Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Canada Day!!

Yeah, yeah, it's not Thursday and this blog is two days early. I'm making up for the times I've been late. :)

I'm taking today to tell you that I am a proud Canadian. And at the risk of sounding like a Molson Canadian beer commercial...

I am a hockey fan, of course. My favorite team is the Edmonton Oilers, but my favorite hockey player is Brendan Shanahan.

I like beer, preferably Canadian made, because let's face it. We make GREAT beer.

I am polite. Most times. Unless you are insulting my team and I'm out of beer.

My husband wears a Canadian tuxedo. That means he wears jeans, a denim shirt and a jean jacket, and therefore looks like a handsome, casual Canadian man.

I don't actually say 'eh?' all the time. That's a misconception about us brought on by SCTV and other Canadian comedians from the eighties. (Take off, eh? Hoser.)

I vote. My foremothers busted their asses just be be given the right to do so. Our history books tell us that it was once deemed that "No woman, lunatic or criminal shall vote." I consider it my responsibility to educate myself on my city's, province's, and country's politics so I can make a firm decision on how I want things run.  If you want to see a lunatic and/or criminal, take away my right to vote. Don't ask me who I vote for. I'm also non-confrontational. It is your right and mine to choose as we wish.

I'm big on acceptance and equality. For EVERYONE.

My country is multicultural. We have races from all over the world living here. That means a smorgasbord of good-looking and fascinating people of various backgrounds and lots of tasty ethnic restaurants in which to have dinner with them.

I like poutine and caesers...

For those of you who aren't Canadian, poutine is french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds. It's almost un-patriotic not to like it. A caeser is a drink much like a Bloody Mary invented in Calgary, Alberta.  It's vodka and Clamato juice, and the rim of your glass is coated with celery salt. Recipes vary, and if you' like to know mine, just ask in the comments. My secret is a healthy spritz of organic lemon juice.

Cause I just tried an experiment for Canada Day and that's the recipe I want to share here. I actually got the inspiration from a July 4th ice cream shot idea I saw on Facebook. This one :https://www.facebook.com/TipsyBartender/photos/a.555602631173734.1073741825.194000460667288/722680227799306/?type=1&theater

I thought, "Nice! But I don't have that kind of time right now, and I don't know about the food coloring bit." I wanted something red, white and fresh. This my recipe for...


CANADA DAY ICE CREAM SHOTS....This is why the blog is two days early, see?


1 shot glass full of UV Cake vodka per
I cup of vanilla ice cream (Preferably Chapman's No Sugar Added)
Fresh sliced strawberries
McGrath's White Chocolate Irish Cream Liquor
Disposable wine glasses

Mix 1 shot of UV cake vodka into each cup of ice cream used until well blended. (Next time, I'm using a food processor) I found that three cups of ice cream and 3 shots of vodka made 12 shots, filled roughly half way up the disposable wine glass.. Place in freezer and let set.

Wash and cut fresh strawberries into small pieces. About 454 grams (1 pound) was enough for said dozen. Place in a bowl of water, and put into fridge until ready to use.

When ready to serve, take disposable ice cream glasses from freezer, and top each one with strawberries. Douse each glass liberally with McGrath's white chocolate liquor, about 1/2 shot, and serve. A dollop of whipped cream couldn't hurt either, but I forgot to buy that.



 So Happy Canada Day to you all!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment