Thursday, August 21, 2014

Who SAID, you had to grow up?




Honestly, I don't think I've ever really grown up. Sometimes I look around my surroundings with my view of the world and the people in it and think, "Oh yeah...I'm not a kid anymore." I don't feel all my 42 years. I've never realized that I'm not cool these days because I was never cool in the first place. I'm really okay with that.


Sure, there were changes. I cut my nearly waist-long hair years ago, because it wasn't flattering anymore and made me look older. I stopped wearing Motorhead and Megadeth T-shirts because quite frankly I felt stupid in them. Like I was trying too hard.

So I changed my style a bit, but it's still my own. I've traded my naturally blonde hair for a choppy red and black haircut. I hate pants and socks, so I've traded them in for ankle-length skirts and sandals or flats. I still wear gobs of jewelry, plum lipstick and I spike my hair OUT instead of UP. But this blog isn't about my fashion preferences.

It's about finding ways to be playful, to hang on to a piece of childhood and youth. And why not? It's fun to let go sometimes, and forget you're too old for stuff. Who said you have to be an adult EVERY day?

How many of these things do you do, just for fun?

1. Stay in your pajamas all day and watch cartoons?                
2. Eat ice cream for breakfast?
3. Swing on the swings at midnight?                                        
4. Jump through the sprinkler?
5. Paintball? Laser Tag?  Snowball fight?  Pillow fight?            
6. Roast marshmallows on the stove?
7. Build a fort from couch cushions or a box from a new appliance?
8. Take a nice cool dip in the same tub you're keeping all the beer in?
9. Kahlua milkshakes or Bartender's Rootbeer floats?
10. Girl's night in pajamas with manicures, pedicures and a marathon of horror movies? And don't forget the Henna tattoos! (Available at Michael's)

One of my favorite Valentine's days was when I pulled the artificial Christmas tree out of storage and put fresh flowers and plants around a comforter on the floor. Then I served a picnic in the living room with fried chicken, potato salad and soup in a thermos. Winter raged outside, but we had a nice dinner. I wish we'd had a fireplace. S'mores would have made a nice dessert.


What's gotten into me today you ask? I just finished a really great book every woman should read.


This is a hug and a pep talk from a good friend. This is a reminder that you are beautiful and talented, and above all, special. It's a funny romp, and a pajama party.Trust me, and read this book.

Is there stuff you like to do to stay a little child-like? I'd love to read about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment