Thursday, May 7, 2015

I'm Still Here

Yeah, it's been a couple of weeks, I'm sorry.It's not that work is hard. It isn't, but it is. I love my jobs. My work is fun, actually, but my feet JUST stopped torturing me. I can now stand for hours without feeling as though I'm walking on razor blades. Last Saturday was a 9 1/2 hour shift, and I made it just fine. Must have been adrenaline. But usually, by the time I finish work, I don't feel like doing much. I've probably written only about 900 words in the last two weeks. Sigh...

But yesterday I received a royalty check from Staccato. It's the biggest one I have ever been paid as a writer. Please don't ask how much. I had a friend guess, and he said, "I don't know...a grand?" I almost choked on my cider. No, uh...much, MUCH smaller.

Bummer that my friends think I actually make money at writing, but it did inspire me. It gave me a kick in the ass. I HAVE to get moving! I HAVE to get that synopsis down to two pages and look for an agent. I need to write more. Something. ANYTHING.

Did you know that only 2% of novelists become financially successful? Did you know that most of us give up after awhile? I don't want to be one of those who surrender to the reality that I probably won't make it.

I will still write. I will still publish. It's just going to take me longer than I anticipated. I hope you stay with me, because I intend to stick around.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see you back and your blog is regaining its upbeat tempo. Life seems to be working out well for you and despite the count, you are writing and that is the key to winding up with a story lol. Your fans are waiting and despite the size of your check, each represents another reader you made happy with your story! Life is good. Continue to enjoy each and every moment of it, no matter how appealing hiding out in a blanket fort may seem. Be well my dear friend, and Bella enjoyed sitting in my lap hearing your last blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, you're awesome, Kevin. Your responses make me happy and inspire me. Thank you <3 Your words mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. Right on! I'm glad to hear about your stick-to-it-iveness. You deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that you are continuing writing and I'm happy that you found work again.

    ReplyDelete